Saturday, March 8, 2008

Deeper than deep...

I'm 15, I should be at the height of teenage angst. But I see people around me, and boy, I have to say that any problems I have, are nuts compared to these guys. (Or maybe they just talk a lot more about themselves than I do) Hehehehe. What do they do in these situations? Start drinking? Take drugs? Smash up someone's car? Ah, this my friends, is the start to a possible loophole to the depression thats oppressing y'all. Soul.

But seriously, I heard these words today. "What kind of fuckery is this?", yes, those are lyrics from Miss Amy Winehouse's Me and Mr. Jones. These are the kind of lyrics that you find in soul, a genre where artists literally pour out their souls in angelic harmony, smoothed out baritone, and to the amazing symphony of trumpets, pianos and saxophones. It's a branch of Jazz, and seriously, even though my girl didn't cheat on me with another guy, I have no addictions to dope, nor do I walk the alleyways wishing for it to rain because I'm going to jail, I've got to say, I love soul music.

It's a complex thing, but it's all so simple. When you're down, listen to soul, there ain't nothing better than listening to someone sing about their problems that are way worse than yours, you'll feel instantly better! Now, i'm not speaking out of experience or anything, cause well, I'm a pretty mellowed out guy. But I fell in love with soul when i heard Otis reading belt out his Trumpet solo. Hot damn I couldn't help but hit repeat. Mojo, ever heard of that word? It';s basically street for all those soulful things. And no, i'm not referring to Mojo-jojo or anything, but he's a pretty funked up monkey. But it's amazing, what people can do with Mojo.

I'm not trying to drive any point home or anything, but all i want to say is people, embrace that Mojo.

Here's are a few artists who'll make you feel funky, and mellowed out.

- Otis Reading
- Marvin Gaye
- Bob Marley
- Amy Winehouse
- Johnnie Taylor
- The Temptations
- Barry White
- Albert Little
- Ella Fitzgerald

I'm listening to The Temptations- "I Wish It Would Rain" by the Temptations right now, you know the song from Four Brothers, when Tyrese switches on the radio when he gets home for the mother's funeral.. And Mark Wahlberg cries in the toilet...

And I'm not sad at all...






No comments: